Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Russian memory

The Hermitage
I finally went to the Hermitage!! Twice already, actually. In case you didn't know, it's ginormous. So far I've seen most of the wings of Russian art, 19-20th century French art, and a temporary Picasso exhibit. Even though I spent hours there, I feel like I barely even scratched the surface of what's in there. Supposedly if you stopped to look at every object on display for 30 seconds, it would take 3 years of constant walking to look at the entire museum. Luckily, I get in free with my student ID, so I can go back as many times as I want. =)

Late Sunday afternoon I felt like my brain would explode from all the art, so I decided to take a side trip to the Pushkin House Museum. Pushkin is considered to be the first and greatest Russian classical author, and I'm pretty sure that all Russian schoolchildren (and usually students of Russian, too) are required to memorize at least one of his poems. The house I visited was Pushkin's last residence before he died in a duel with a Frenchman who had been flirting with his wife in public. A few of the rooms in which Pushkin lived have been preserved exactly as they were when he died, down to the papers lying on the desk. It was interesting to see the books in his library and his house slippers, but I was more surprised by the wide range of people who were on the tour with me: older couples, families with teenage children, even girls my age who I never would have suspected to be interested in Pushkin. It's hero worship to an extreme that just doesn't exist in the US.

Alexander Column
Hero worship seems to be a big thing here. Or maybe it's just that certain historical events have become such an important part of the Russian narrative that they pervade everything. I'm actually planning to take a course about this in Russian this semester, "Historical Memory." Certain events, like World War II, were collectively remembered as shining moments in Russian history. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, the interpretation of these events in the public sphere has been gradually changing, which I find to be really interesting. I had my first lecture for the class today -- my first in Russian, for Russians class ever!! The entire 3 hour long lecture I knew what the professor was talking about. But then sometimes he'd go into specifics or start looking out the window, and I'd kinda lose track... I know it's normal, but it makes me nervous that I can't understand everything Russians say to me. I can always get notes from other people, but I'd rather have my own notes most of all. Oh well. Hopefully by the end of the semester I'll understand everything. And have written a 20 page paper in Russian. And have given a presentation in front of Russians for 10-15 minutes. And get a good grade. And maybe, maybe be able to speak enough Russian to be understood?


Finally, and most importantly, I hope that everyone has a 
shana tova u'metuka, v'ketiva v'chatima tovah!!

6 comments:

  1. SARABETH YOU'RE GONNA ROCK THEM, YOU'RE AWESOME AT RUSSIAN. woooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. SB! You're a superstar. Knock 'em dead! :)
    Miss you, shana tova!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOUR GRANDDAD AND ME WISH YOU A SHANA TOVA. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORKS AND MAKE AMERICA PROUD!!
    LOVE, GRANDMA AND GRANDAD

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey SARABETH!!!!
    Missing you! Wishing you a Shana Tova and Ksiva VKasima Tova!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, Sara, we love you! xoxo Martha, Kevin, Daniel and Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lack of "American memory" for historical events is uniquely American. When Ben was in the UK, he and I went to Deal Castle, where the Duke of Wellington (the one who defeated Napoleon at Waterloo) lived as the "Master of the Cinque Portes". He died in the bedroom of the castle and the room has been maintained exactly as it was the day he died, down to his boots under the bed and the papers on his desk. Similarly, Churchill's office in Dover Castle, from which he directed the Battle of Britain, is maintained as it was left by him.

    Shana Tova.

    ReplyDelete