Ways in which I have gone Russian:
- I have kasha for breakfast and eat cucumbers and tomatoes, and tea has replaced water (actually Fresca).
- I change my clothes when I get home and always wear slippers.
- My friends on В Контакте (the Russian version of Facebook) have jumped from 4 to 18.
- I give up my seat to babushkas on the bus.
- No smiling on the street.
- I like green leafy vegetables and spices other than dill.
- Washing machines are necessary for doing a full load of laundry.
- A mini skirt and high heel boots are not winter clothes, even if you're wearing a winter coat.
- I make a face when I'm shmushed up against a random guy who smells strongly of cigarettes on the bus.
- I avoid those shops where you have to specifically ask the person behind the counter for exactly what you want to buy.
In other news, it's late fall here, meaning that the sun goes down earlier and rises later every day. It tends to be cold and windy and rainy. But sometimes the sun comes out and the city is simply beautiful. And apparently it's midterm time. When it was announced that midterms for our RSL classes would be next week, all I thought was "Midterms?? Already?" I feel like I've been here forever, but that I still have forever to be here. In fact, I'm exactly in the middle: 13 weeks gone, 13 weeks to go.
I remember going to Oslo and Copenhagen in the winter, when the sun would rise around 10.00 am and set around 4.30 pm. It has a strange effect on your circadian rhythm (via your pineal gland and hypothalamus). Most people find their mood shifts towards a bit of depression -- the Russians and Finns make up for that by drinking :) -- but they make up for it in the spring and summer, when the cycle switches and sunrise is at 4.00 am and sunset around 10.00 pm. I suspect you could match the mood of Russian authors's writing by whether they were creating their text in summer or winter, if you had some kind of diary to give you a timeline.
ReplyDeleteRe "going native", sounds like you've picked up the best habits and avoided the worst. Glad to hear you're drinking tea. If you get the chance, there is a classic blend the Russians love, called "Russian Caravan". It's a black tea, smoky in flavor and dates back to the original tea caravans from China to Venice along the Silk Road, in the 12-14th centuries. Try it and see what you think. It's classically drunk with honey and a small amount of milk (camel's milk, if you want to be really authentic!).
Love,
Dad
No smiling on the street ?!?! Sarabeth??
ReplyDeleteHa, ha, love the slippers, guess I'm Russian too! Also, kasha and tea are delish!
ReplyDeleteI hope you did well with midterms, xoxo Martha