| The view from the первый ярус (first balcony) |
| Vishneva taking a bow |
I spent the second days of Sukkos and the past couple of shabbos' at Migdal Ohr, the Lithuanian synagogue. In contrast to the Choral Synagogue (Chabad), Migdal Ohr is entirely Russian. The younger rabbis are part of the generation that started discovering what it meant to be Jewish during perestroika and glasnost', got semicha in Israel, and returned to Russia to guide the next generation. Migdal Ohr was initially founded as a school. However the school closed a few years ago, and it seems like they haven't quite figured out what to do next. The number of people who come to Migdal Ohr is quite smaller, maybe forty people at the most. Even so, Migdal Ohr feels much more like a real community than the synagogue. All the meals are actually communal (they'll wait for you to make kiddush and motzi unlike at the synagogue, where you have to be responsible for yourself). It's impossible for you to get lost in the crowd and not be approached by anyone and leave feeling ignored. Even though it's so small, I feel like this is the actual Russian Jewish community in Saint Petersburg.
And now for my announcement. Drum roll please... I've decided that I don't want to go abroad to France in the spring. First of all, I think that being immersed in French for a semester would be more detrimental to my Russian than being immersed in Russian was for my French. Second of all, since the chagim I've felt a strong desire to be part of an actual community again, and not be such a complete outsider. I struggled with this decision for a few weeks. Even less then halfway through, I can tell that being in Russia has been and (will continue to be) an amazing experience. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to come here. I kept wondering if I'd regret not going to France and miss having these same kinds of cultural experiences. But I feel that this is the right decision for now, and I hope that I'll have a chance to go there in the future.
In the meantime, there's still reading to be done, classes to go to, and homework to turn in. We're going on an excursion to the opera tonight, I've started tutoring someone in English once a week, and even discovered how to save 65 rubles on laundry (you fold it yourself). Now that I know this will be my only semester abroad, I know I definitely have to make the most of it.
Wow. I'm happy for you.
ReplyDeleteYesher koach on the decision.
and I'm glad you found a nice community and you're enjoying Russia.
I look forward to seeing you in the spring... :)
-Melissa/Aliza
It seems you made a wise decision not to go to France. After all, what could France have to offer besides gourmet food, fabulous fashions, snooty Parisians, and the Louvre?
ReplyDeleteYour mom was jealous of you seeing the ballet with a world class ballerina and choreographed by a world class artist.
Love you!
Grandmom and Granddad
Sounds like a marvelous evening at the ballet. Interestingly, the same thing is true of London theatre, compared to NYC: the venues are much smaller and more intimate to the actors' performance. This is clearly a situation where bigger is NOT better.
ReplyDeleteRe not going to France, being in Nice isn't like being in Paris, so I'm not certain what your community relationship would have been like. But you've been in Paris for a 6 week intensive, so it's not as though you're missing hte experience entirely. And you'll always be able to go in the future, assuming France doesn't become a moslem country in the next 5 years and adopt sharia ...
BTW, did the package I sent you arrive? If not, I have to file a claim, so please let me know.
Love,
Dad
BTW, I saw the Moscow City Ballet back in 2003, performing in the UK ... their costumes and sets seemed pretty shabby compared to what I had seen in both London and NYC. What was your sense of the Mariinsky/Kirov ... how much of hte audience was native vs "foreign" tourists? Are the arts as well supported in the current environment as they were under Communism? Do people have the financial resources to go to the ballet regularly?
ReplyDelete