Saturday night: Rush back to the dormitory after havdallah and pack. Get in an argument with the desk lady when I try to leave because apparently there's a new rule that you have to have a permission slip from the commandant in order to leave the dorm with any of your stuff. Forced to give them my dorm card. Struggle to make my bed on the train while trying not hit my head on the bunk above or bother the woman in the bed across from mine. Discover it is very hard to sleep when you can feel the train wheels moving under your head.
| St. Basil's on Red Square |
Sunday: Make my way in the dark to the apartment of the family who invited me to Moscow. Realize that the Moscow metro is amazing, since it's huge and can take me everywhere I want to go. Red Square!!!! The cobblestones are super slippery, so everyone just kinda shuffles along in an attempt to remain upright. Laugh at the fact that GUM, a mall filled with expensive Western shops, is directly across from Lenin's (and Stalin's) tombs. Go inside the Kremlin. See actual Fabergé eggs and more gold/silver/precious jewels than I've ever seen in my life in the Armory.
| Pushkin statue in Pushkinskaya Ploshad' |
Tuesday: The main part of the Tretyakovskaya Gallery -- which only houses Russian art from the 1200s to the early 1900s -- is huge.
| Bolshoi Theatre |
Wednesday: The Patriach's Pond neighborhood, used in the opening of Bulgakov's Master and Margarita. Random statue of "Shalom Aleichem -- Muscovite." Pushkinskaya Ploshad', which was known for public poetry readings in the 1960s and 1970s. Student rush tickets for 20 rubles (66 cents) to see the Bolshoi Ballet!! Conclude that I like the Bolshoi Ballet better than the Maryinsky because even the dancers in the corps have personality.
| Black Square |
Friday: Get into another argument with the desk lady. Enlist the help of the commandant's assistant and even she gets in a fight with the desk lady -- but I still get my dorm card back.
I am so glad I went to Moscow. It's a completely different city than Saint Petersburg. It has lots of little winding streets and huge super highways and unique, self-enclosed neighborhoods. There's always lots of people rushing about and something to do or see. In other words, it's kinda like New York. Not representative of the country, but definitely an important part of the psyche.
I love your photos and I'm so glad you got a chance to explore! And of course, I hate you for seeing Osipova in Russia- in Balanchine!
ReplyDeleteSee you in 2 days!
Love, Mom
You look just like a native muscovite!! Anyhow, you deserve a lot of credit going to Moscow by yourself. I remember going to MOMA to look in on Malevich's painting, black on black, when I was in high school. Can't wait to talk to you when you are back in the USA. We miss you and love you. Grandma and Grandpa
ReplyDeleteThe Russian subway served as a massive bomb shelter during WW2 and was expanded during the cold war to serve as nuclear bomb shelters, just like the basements of many commercial buildings in US cities were ... my guess is that if the food supplies haven't been pilfered, you'd find most of the Muscovite population could live in that subway ... and it was one of the few systems that kepts running on time in the Yeltsin era, when so much of the old USSR infrastructure collapsed.
ReplyDeleteSame with the road system, also developed primarily for the military. Moscow is one of the few cities on the planet where addresses are best given as polar coordinates, because there are 3 levels of ring road and a whole series of spokes. Something I remember from my 1st year calculus teacher ...
Interesting, that having been trained in Vaganova, you preferred Bolshoi to Maryinski.