![]() |
| The long-awaited picture of killer icicles. Usually the sidewalk directly underneath is taped off. But still. Definitely wouldn't want to be caught under this when it falls. |
I gave in and bought new boots yesterday. Literally every single pair in the shop was fur-lined. And these aren't the usual shlumpy Uggs -- most of them are really nice-looking, with high heels or wedges. I wore them today and it was the first time in weeks that my feet weren't numb and/or wet when I arrived at school. How come they don't make these in America??
![]() |
| Building the елка on Nevsky Prospect. |
The Russian Orthodox Church doesn't celebrate Рождетсво (Rozhdenstvo = Christmas) until January 7. But the елки (yolki = Christmas trees) have been up in random public places since the beginning of November. But actually New Year's is a much more important holiday here than Christmas. New Year's is when people have wild and crazy parties and wake up with a hangover next day. [This is actually the beginning of one of the most famous Soviet movies. A guy gets drunk on New Year's and ends up accidentally going to Leningrad, where he walks into an apartment that isn't his... you'll have to watch it for yourself. Preferably on Russian TV on New Year's.] Christmas, on the other hand, is still a religious holiday. And since few people here are deeply religious, it's just a quiet day. I won't be here for New Year's or Christmas. But it's nice to have decorations on the street so that during the 3 hours of daylight it's not quite so grey.
Back to paper writing and general homeworking. After RSL classes and exams are over December 17 (!!!) my schedule is pretty tight. I leave for Moscow the night of December18/19, come back to Piter the night of December 23/24, fly home early December 27. I want to try to finish everything before I leave to Moscow, because I know that a) won't get much work done in Moscow and b) won't want to do work at home. It'll be tight, but I think I can do it...
P.S. World Cup 2018??? Soccer + alcohol + crazy funs + Russia. It'll be ridiculous.
P.S. World Cup 2018??? Soccer + alcohol + crazy funs + Russia. It'll be ridiculous.


Thank you for the killer icicle photo. I bet the city- which really is beautiful- is beautiful even in winter. Just too darn cold for me!
ReplyDeleteMom
Here we are in sunny California, so it's hard to imagine how cold it is where you are. We freeze when the temperature goes down to the 50's.
ReplyDeleteI don't think the Russians care if the fur is from some poor animal as long as they keep warm. Love,
Dear Granddaughter,
Hate to think about some poor animal losing it's life to keep someones feet warm, but I guess you have no choice.
Here in sunny California, we complain when the temperature drops down to 50 as it sometimes does. There is even snow in the mountains!!
Love, Grandma
Maybe your mom doesn't remember Wisconsin winters, but I certainly do ... as well as Minnesota winters. I remember days in Minneapolis where the high was -5 (yes, that's Farenheit) and when the windchill was -30. The lake effect kept Milwaukee warmer than inland (say, Madison), but winter was still memorable.
ReplyDeleteSo, yes, Russia doesn't treat its disabled citizens well and winter is a bear. Pre-ADA, America wasn't very friendly to people with canes, walkers or wheelchairs either, but you're too young to remember that. If you were in Finland, Norway or Sweden, you'd have a similar winter experience (they do, however, have more ADA-like amenities for their citizens).
Still, there is a beauty to winter, at least when it's daylight. A photomag, Lenswork, had a 14 page spread earlier this year, on Saint Petersburg in the winter. Really spectacular ... the river, the Hermitage, the churches, all dressed in snow and icicles.
We're looking forward to you being home as much as you must be ...
Love,
Dad