[I wasn't sure whether I should post this. But Mom, I figured that you read the news anyway and would have read about what happened over the weekend. Thank G-d I haven't seen any of this with my own eyes, and have been far away when anything happened. And... unfortunately, this is Russia, too.]
Nationalism. Chauvinism. Racism. Whatever you call it, it's alive and well in Russia.
Russian racism tends to center on Central Asians, meaning people from the Caucasus' and the -stans. Sometimes they illegally come to large Russian cities to find work, usually off-the-books as construction workers or house cleaners. They tend to be poorly educated and not speak Russian well. And they don't look Russian, so they're that much more noticeable on the street. I don't think two wars in Chechnya and lots of terroristic acts (like the bombings on the Moscow metro in March) helped. Neither does the complete lack of political correctness in Russian culture, where it's perfectly normal to make remarks about different ethnicities. But people who look like they could be from the provinces of Chechnya, Ingushetia, Dagestan, or one of the -stans are much more likely to get stopped on the street and harassed.
In Moscow on December 5 an (ethnically Russian) football fan was killed by a migrant from the North Caucasus.
On December 11 a crowd of 5,500 people gathered in Moscow on Manezhnaya Ploshad' right near the Kremlin to yell racist slogans like "Russia is for Russians!", attack dark-skinned passersby, and fight with the riot police who were sent to break up the crowd and help victims of attacks. Here in Saint Petersburg, 3,000 people attended a 'memorial march' for the killed fan which ended up at Gostiny Dvor, right in the center of Nevsky Prospect.
Today in Saint Petersburg there were vague rumors going around to avoid Sennaya Ploshad', a major metro station. The skinheads had planned another массовый беспорядок (mass disorder). Luckily everyone knew about it, so the police were ready and waiting. As of now the police have detained more than 80 people. In Moscow, they've detained about 700.
On blogs people have been speculating that certain elements in the government have stirred up the unrest and are hoping to use it for their own means. I'm not sure that's true, seeing as the Putin/Medvedev government prides itself on the lack of unauthorized demonstrations. And I think they're smart enough to know that this kind of anger never comes to anything good. I wouldn't put it past some of the more extreme politicians though, like Zhirinovskii. But, as the Russians would say, Б-г один знает (only G-d knows).
I hope that's it for now. I hope it stops for good and that Russians learn to live with diversity -- or, as a matter of fact, with their fellow Russian citizens. But I worry that everyone who is against this kind of politics will just give up on Russia and leave for the West. And if that happens, Russia will destroy itself entirely, from the inside out.
well THAT was depressing
ReplyDeleteI did read about this- unfortunately, not limited to Russia (or Germany, or Britain or even the USA (think Hispanics)).
ReplyDeleteMom
I think this is called "The Human Condition." We can't seem to accept anyone who is different from us. Living here in Sunny California, one tries to accept the many Latinos that live and work here. The streets all have Hispanic names, there is many Mexican restaurants as well as Vietnamese, Chinese, Japanese etc. as well. The supermarkets have whole aisles devoted to ethnic foods and I have decided if you can't put up with diversity, find another place to live. If a tragedy strikes instigated by a "non-white" it brings out the deep seated racism in all of us. Keep safe. Grandma
ReplyDeleteHave, to agree, at least partly, with your mom and Grandma. There has been a long history, in the US as well as in Europe, of discrimination against people who were different from the local population, whether it was the Saxons and Normans, the Poles and Russians against Jews, or the French against most of the rest of Europe. Even in the US, the "natural" human condition is to fear differences and only law makes us overcome that behavior.
ReplyDeleteHaving said that, in the US, people are far too ready to brand entire populations for the fault of a few members, such as lumping all Hispanics into the "illegal immigrant" issue. In Russia, as you know, from the time of Peter the Great creating the Empire, there have been the acceptable provinces and the not-so-acceptable provinces. The USSR suppressed these national feelings (sound like Czechoslovakia, Yugoslavia, and the Balkans generally?), and the CIS was a pretty mild transition. As long as people come to Russia, especially illegally, they will face these issues.
Just to reiterate everone else's wish ... keep safe and come home soon!
Love,
Dad