Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The voyage home, part 2

When we arrived at the airport yesterday, I was skeptical that we would be able to get onto the flight to New York from standby. But we did!!

I'm writing this right now as I set on my bed at home. It's weird that sun is streaming through the windows. It's weird that I could go downstairs and eat almost anything my heart desires. It's weird that I have more clothes than I know what to do with. It's weird that everyone speaks English. It's weird that the internet actually works. It's weird that the tap water is drinkable. On the other hand, it's perfectly normal that there's a foot of snow on the ground.

Being in Russia was an amazing experience. I am so grateful for the opportunities I had to see so many places that I had only heard of in textbooks and dreamed about. I met so many amazing people there in classes and at shul. Of course, I'm also a lot more aware of the major problems in Russia today -- and there are certainly lots. But still. Russia. And now the question is, as all my Russian friends asked me, when will I go back?

Canal Griboyedova in Saint Petersburg

5 comments:

  1. Welcome Home!!! I'm glad you're back safe and sound.
    Those adjustments back to American life sound particularly difficult.
    Please stay here a little while before returning to Russia...
    Give me a call if you want to hang out. :)

    ~Melissa

    P.S. Unfortunately, I'm not in Lower Merion this Shabbos, but I will be here next Shabbos (and you're definitely invited over for a meal).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you're back :) (and you're invited whatever shabbos you want)
    -Michal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since Marco Polo went from Venice to China, the value of travel in providing insight and broadening one's life view has been documented to those not able to go. Your blog is part of a grand tradition, including those 3 Americans, each very different: T Jefferson, J Adams, and B Franklin (wasn't quite his junior year abroad from UPenn, more like 3 years abroad, LOL). I count myself lucky to have done as much travel as I did and I'm glad you're doing the same.

    Welcome back home ... and you're welocome to join us for any Shabbats you'd care to ...

    Love,

    Dad and Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sare,

    Welcome home!

    Since you found GUM so disappointing, let me re-aquaint you with the King of Prussia mall ;)

    I guess you could say it's the Capitalist equivalent to Red Square! I know you suddenly find yourself with more clothes than you need, but I'm sure we can find something you can use. My Chanukah (belated) gift to you.

    Love,
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thought you'd enjoy this ... guess it won't happen in Russia anytime soon.

    http://nymag.com/daily/fashion/2010/12/norway_bans_fur_from_oslo_fash.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nymag%2Ffashion+%28The+Cut+-+nymag.com%27s+Fashion+Blog+-+New+York+Magazine%29

    Scandinavia is beautiful, but it has its quirks ...

    ReplyDelete